[Learningobjects] PI CME

Valerie Smothers vsmothers at jhmi.edu
Tue Dec 9 13:47:15 UTC 2014

Hi, everyone.

I contacted David Price, Director of the ABMS Multi-specialty Maintenance of Certification Portfolio Program regarding PI CME. He provided the following explanation.

PI-CME credit is a construct developed by the AMA, and awarded directly by the AMA or through ACCME-accredited providers.  It basically allows for up to 20 AMA category 1 CME credits for a project that goes through one (or more) PDSA cycle(s).  Many of the efforts in the MOC portfolios can be designated for this type of CME credit (not all are, as not all sponsors have CME shops -- some of the portfolio work lives in the quality shops, not the CME shops, of the various participating institutions.

So, not all MOC portfolio projects (in either the ABMS shop that I run or the ABPeds portfolio) carries PICME credit, and not all PICME is approved for MOC.

When I look at the AMA PRA booklet, the document that explains the AMA credit system, it provides the following explanation of the credit designation that all activities offering AMA credit must include:

AMA Credit Designation Statement
The AMA Credit Designation Statement indicates to physicians that the activity has been certified by an accredited CME provider as being in compliance with AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(tm) requirements. The AMA Credit Designation Statement must be written without paraphrasing and be listed separately from accreditation or other statements.

The following AMA Credit Designation Statement must be included in relevant announcement and activity materials (see page 8):

The [name of accredited CME provider] designates this [learning format] for a maximum of [number of credits] AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)(tm). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

The learning format listed in the Credit Designation Statement must be one of the following AMA approved learning formats:

1. Live activity
2. Enduring material
3. Journal-based CME activity
4. Test-item writing activity
5. Manuscript review activity
6. PI CME activity
7. Internet point-of-care activity

So based on that information, it would seem that PI CME would be listed under activityOrResourceFormat rather than credit type. We may want to modify the definition to accommodate the AMA's practice of requiring the learning format to be listed in the credit designation, but that is something we can discuss further.

Jyothi, if you could share this with others at ABP, ABIM, and ABFM, that would be terrific. I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Of course we can discuss further on the next call.

Many thanks!

Call for Abstracts - MedBiquitous 2015<http://medbiq.org/conference/callforabstracts>