[Learningobjects] PI CME

Jyothi Holla JHolla at abpeds.org
Tue Dec 9 15:28:15 UTC 2014

Thank you Valerie. This is great information. I will share it with
everyone on the MOCAM team and request feedback.

Many Thanks!

Jyothi

From:   Valerie Smothers <vsmothers at jhmi.edu>
To:     "learningobjects at medbiq.org" <learningobjects at medbiq.org>
Date:   12/09/2014 08:48 AM
Subject:        [Learningobjects] PI CME
Sent by:        "Learningobjects" <learningobjects-bounces at medbiq.org>

Hi, everyone.

I contacted David Price, Director of the ABMS Multi-specialty Maintenance
of Certification Portfolio Program regarding PI CME. He provided the
following explanation.

PI-CME credit is a construct developed by the AMA, and awarded directly by
the AMA or through ACCME-accredited providers.  It basically allows for up
to 20 AMA category 1 CME credits for a project that goes through one (or
more) PDSA cycle(s).  Many of the efforts in the MOC portfolios can be
designated for this type of CME credit (not all are, as not all sponsors
have CME shops -- some of the portfolio work lives in the quality shops,
not the CME shops, of the various participating institutions.

So, not all MOC portfolio projects (in either the ABMS shop that I run or
the ABPeds portfolio) carries PICME credit, and not all PICME is approved
for MOC.

When I look at the AMA PRA booklet, the document that explains the AMA
credit system, it provides the following explanation of the credit
designation that all activities offering AMA credit must include:

AMA Credit Designation Statement
The AMA Credit Designation Statement indicates to physicians that the
activity has been certified by an accredited CME pro­vider as being in
compliance with AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ requirements. The AMA Credit
Designation Statement must be written without paraphrasing and be listed
separately from accreditation or other statements.

The following AMA Credit Designation Statement must be included in
relevant announcement and activity materials (see page 8):

The [name of accredited CME provider] designates this [learning format]
for a maximum of [number of credits] AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of
their participation in the activity.

The learning format listed in the Credit Designation Statement must be one
of the following AMA approved learning formats:

1. Live activity
2. Enduring material
3. Journal-based CME activity
4. Test-item writing activity
5. Manuscript review activity
6. PI CME activity
7. Internet point-of-care activity

So based on that information, it would seem that PI CME would be listed
under activityOrResourceFormat rather than credit type. We may want to
modify the definition to accommodate the AMA’s practice of requiring the
learning format to be listed in the credit designation, but that is
something we can discuss further.

Jyothi, if you could share this with others at ABP, ABIM, and ABFM, that
would be terrific. I want to make sure we are talking about the same
thing. Of course we can discuss further on the next call.

Many thanks!

vsmothers at jhmi.edu
+1-410-735-6142
www.medbiq.org