[Learningobjects] New Experience API interest group

Valerie Smothers vsmothers at jhmi.edu
Thu Mar 20 15:44:03 UTC 2014

Dear working groups,

For several months our Virtual Patient working group has discussed the opportunities presented by the eXperience API (XAPI), a specification for tracking learner activities in granular detail. XAPI uses social networking specifications to communicate statements about a learner's accomplishments similar to facebook updates (I did this, I liked this, etc.). Within the context of the Virtual Patient working group, the conversations focused on the use of XAPI in a virtual patient context. (I completed the Pneumonia virtual patient activity. I demonstrated the competency "Performs differential diagnosis of acute cases." Etc.) We would like to have a larger group that brings together representatives from across our working groups to explore the use of XAPI in health professions education and determine appropriate next steps.

The purpose of this new XAPI interest group would be to explore current uses or explored uses of how to use the XAPI specification to track health professions education activities and learner performance and answer the following questions.

1.       What are the need of health profession educators with regard to more granular tracking of learner activities?

2.       Do the existing vocabularies and structures of XAPI meet the needs of health professions educators, or would vocabularies  or elements specific to the health professions be beneficial?

3.       If the existing vocabularies and structures of XAPI do meet the needs of health professions educators, are guidelines necessary for health professions educators to use XAPI effectively?

The answers to those questions will determine if MedBiquitous takes further steps to promote the use of XAPI for tracking in the health professions. Possible next steps include:

*         The development education around the use of XAPI in the health professions.

*         Guidelines around the use of XAPI in the health professions.

*         A profile of the XAPI specification targeted for health professions education.

Please let me know if you would like to participate in this new XAPI exploratory group.

Note that we will have session related to the use of XAPI in the health professions at the MedBiquitous Annual Conference in May.

Many thanks!

MedBiquitous Annual Conference<http://medbiq.org/conference2014>, May 19-20, 2014